How do you get married in Raleigh, NC?
Congratulations y'all! I'm so hyped that y'all are getting married!
Who would be the best person to give guidance other than a Raleigh courthouse photographer + Officiant?
Here's your checklist.
- Fill out a Marriage License Form
- Get An Appointment at Register of Deeds in Raleigh
- Valid Photo ID or Driver's License or Passport (You'll need these)
- $60 cash, check, or card for your Marriage License (wait 24 Hours to pick up your License)
- Set up an Appointment with Ceremony Officiant or Courthouse
- Attend the ceremony with your partner and 2 witnesses.
- Sign the marriage license.
- Have the officiant file the license.
- Request a marriage certificate for proof of marriage.
- Congrats, you're officially married!
HOW TO GET A MARRIAGE LICENSE
First you'll need to schedule an appointment at Register of Deeds office in Raleigh
- Both you and your partner must appear in person at the Register of Deeds office in Raleigh to apply for a marriage license.
- You both must be at least 18 years old. If either of you is 16-20, you'll need a birth certificate
- You'll need to provide a valid photo ID, such as a driver's license or passport.
- Complete a Marriage Form Here
Then head to Register of Deeds office at the date and time of your appointment
If your wedding will be in North Carolina, you can get a marriage license from the Register of Deeds in any county in the state.
Go here: 300 S. Salisbury St Suite 1700 Raleigh NC 27601
Be sure to be there on time. They are open between 8:00AM - 4:00PM | Monday-Friday
Note: They DO NOT perform the ceremony there. You'll need an Officiant or a Magistrate to do that for you.
You can also hire our officiant Eddie to get you married anywhere you wish, inquire Photography + Officant below!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to get your marriage license?
If you're coming from out of state and wanting to get married in North Carolina, its possible to apply for an appointment, arrive at Register of Deeds, get a marriage license, and get married on the same day.
How much does it cost to get married at a North Carolina Courthouse?
$60 for the marriage license, you can set up an appointment and get married on the same day.
Can you get married at the Raleigh Courthouse?
You can get married at Wake County Magistrate Civil Marriages without the need for appointment. You can walk in between 9:30 AM-12:00PM and 1:30PM - 4:00PM
How much does it cost to get married at Wake County Magistrate Civil Marriages?
It costs $50 in cash to get married at the courthouse. You must bring 2 witnesses, 18 years of age or older.
Will I need a Witness to get married?
Yes, you will need 2 people to be your witnesses so bring a friend or family member!
On the scheduled date and time, both you and your partner, along with the required witnesses, will attend the civil wedding ceremony at the courthouse.
A courthouse official, such as a magistrate, judge, or clerk, will typically officiate the ceremony.
Complete the Marriage License
During the ceremony, the officiant and witnesses will sign the marriage license, making your marriage legally valid.
You do not have to get married in a courthouse. Once you get a marriage license form from the Register of Deeds/Courthouse, you can hire an officiant to elope at your desired location. Inquire Officiant + Photographer + Witnesses Below!
After the Ceremony
File the Marriage License
After the ceremony, the officiant will file the signed marriage license with the Register of Deeds office to officially record your marriage.
Obtain a Marriage Certificate
You can request a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the Register of Deeds office for a fee. This certificate serves as proof of your marriage.
Hey I'm Glenn!
I am a wedding and portrait photographer based in Wilmington, North Carolina. As a "hell yes!" photographer, it's my favorite job to capture your love for each other. Whether you're eloping or having a traditional wedding. I am always there to get your authentic self.
Inquire about our Officiant + Photographer Package below! We will get you eloped anywhere you wish!